The Harvey County Treasurer's Office is an agent for the State of Kansas for registering and titling motor vehicles upon proper documentation and submission of fees. The fees include registration fees, personal property taxes, title fees, and sales tax, if applicable.

In 2018, the State moved to mailing license plates for new vehicles - there is no longer an inventory of plates on hand at our office. There are several styles of plates available that you can view here. Some require additional documentation. You can contact our office if you have questions about license plates.

Once a vehicle is purchased, either from a dealer or individual, the new owner has 60 days from the date of purchase to bring their documentation into our office to be processed. Some of the documentation needed is listed below.

  1. Title which has been signed over to new owner
  2. Insurance
  3. Sales tax receipt if purchased from a Kansas dealership
  4. Bill of sale (if bought from individual and there is no place for purchase price on title)
  5. MVE 1 inspection for out of state titles and salvaged/non hwy vehicles
  6. Any forms attached to title from dealership

If the purchase is an out-of-state title, the owner of the vehicle needs to have a vehicle identification inspection (MVE-1) completed. There is a $20 charge (cash only) at the time of inspection. A Kansas Highway Patrol Officer MUST do the following inspections: Out of State inspections and all salvage/non-highway titles ($25 fee). ALL vehicles moving into Harvey County from out-of-state must also have this inspection completed before registering. If moving from out of state and your lienholder is holding your title, you MUST have the lienholder fax the FRONT AND BACK of your title to OUR OFFICE. They will not accept the fax to any other location. 

The Kansas Highway Patrol conducts inspections in Harvey County from 9 a.m. to noon on Tuesdays. The KHP address is 1020 East 12th St, Newton, KS. The phone number for that office is 316-283-1920, or contact our office for further information.

Sales Tax

If purchasing a vehicle from a Kansas dealer, they are required to collect sales tax for the county where the dealership is located. If the sales tax percentage is lower in that county than in Harvey County, we will collect the difference. Example: If purchasing out of county where the sales tax is 7.5 percent, we will collect the remaining 1 percent, making the total collected 8.5 percent. This amount may change according to the increase or decrease of sales tax in Kansas. If purchasing a vehicle from either an individual or dealership outside of Kansas, we will collect the full sales tax at the time of titling your vehicle. 


Auto, light truck and RV tag renewals are based on the first letter of the last name of the registered owner of the vehicle and correspond with the below schedule.

Heavy Trucks and Trailers tags expire Dec. 31, but cannot be purchased until after Jan. 1. There is a grace period through February without a late penalty.

Alpha By Name       Tag Expires at Midnight On
A Feb 28
B Mar 31
C  D Apr 30
E F G May 31
H I Jun 30
J K L Jul 31
M N O Aug 31
P Q R Sep 30
S Oct 31
T V W Nov 30
U X Y Z Dec 31