The Harvey County Treasurer's Office is an agent for the State of Kansas for registering and titling motor vehicles. We issue license plates upon receipt of proper documentation and submission of correct fees. The fees include registration fees, personal property taxes, title fees, and sales tax, if applicable.
Once a vehicle is purchased, either from a dealer or individual, the new owner has 60 days from the date of purchase to bring their documentation into our office to be processed without penalties. Some of the documentation needed is listed below.
- Title which has been signed over to new owner
- Sales tax receipt if purchased from a Kansas dealership
- Bill of sale (if bought from individual and there is no place for purchase price on title)
- MVE 1 inspection for out of state titles and salvaged/non hwy vehicles
- Any forms attached to title from dealership
If the purchase is an out-of-state title, the owner of the vehicle needs to have a vehicle identification inspection (MVE-1) completed. There is a $20.00 charge (cash only) at the time of inspection. A Kansas Highway Patrol Officer MUST do the following inspections: Out of State inspections and all salvage/non-highway titles ($25.00 fee). ALL vehicles moving into Harvey County from out-of-state must also have this inspection completed before registering. If moving from out of state and your lienholder is holding your title, you MUST have the lienholder fax the FRONT AND BACK of your title to OUR OFFICE. They will not accept the fax to any other location.
For information about other States registration, titles, etc, please visit www.onlinedmv.com
NO VEHICLE TITLEWORK PROCESSED AFTER 4:00PM. ALL OTHER VEHICLE BUSINESS STOPS AT 4:30PM.
LIEN RELEASES and E-TITLES
Beginning in January of 2003, Kansas has been holding titles if there is a lien. This means that you will no longer get a title unless it is a clear title. These titles are called "Electronic Titles" or "E-titles". The only way to get an E- title printed is to submit, to the County office, a NOTARIZED lien release. When you bring this document into the office, the clerk will process a Lien Release transaction, at no additional cost. A paper title should be issued within 10-14 days following this transaction.
Selling and purchasing vehicles with E-titles is possible with the correct forms. Please visit the KDOR website www.ksrevenue.org for the correct forms, which include an Electronic Sales Agreement. Please be aware that we will need the sellers Lien Release to process the Electronic Sales Agreement if you are purchasing the vehicle. This will allow the purchaser a 60 day tag until the proper title can be printed and assigned to the new owner. An Electronic Power of Attorney may also be used if the seller wishes to allow the purchaser to sign the title using the POA. This form can also be found at www.ksrevenue.org.
If purchasing a vehicle from a Kansas dealer, they are required to collect sales tax for the county where the dealership is located. If the sales tax percentage is lower in that county than in Harvey County, we will collect the difference. Example: If purchasing out of county where the sales tax is 7.3%, we will collect the remaining 1%, making the total collected 8.3%. This amount may change according to the increase or decrease of sales tax in Kansas. If purchasing a vehicle from either an individual or dealership outside of Kansas, we will collect the full sales tax at the time of titling your vehicle.